W dniu 26.05.2015 12:46, Jo napisał(a):

So a usecase:

Say you want to locate all the streets and other objects named after
17th century Dutch painters, worldwide.

You could start by finding the painters from wikidata, then use the
Overpass API to do a regular expression search with all the resulting
Q-numbers.

For me something like this is a future for OSM categorization.

Currently we have some simple, common sense top-level categories (like building=* or amenity=*), but they overlap, the system is far from complete and we have no idea how they relate to each other.

Wikidata alone may be problematic, because it's independent project, but it is big database of objects and their relations, so we could have better classification of our objects. Maybe close cooperation or fork would suit our needs? Wikimedia already use our data for showing maps in the articles, so I think it may be beneficial for both parties to have a close cooperation.

Wikimedia data may look like an overkill for GIS database we work on, but in practice we would like to know for example what "vehicles" or "shops" are without having fixed list of them for each use or as a compulsive namespace (shop=travel_agent or office=travel_agency) and that is outside the scope of a "ground truth" we try to rely on.

--
"The train is always on time / The trick is to be ready to put your bags down" [A. Cohen]