Hi, this issue does pop up on the mailing lists sometimes.
Here are my thoughts from the last time:
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2015-June/025438.html
<https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2015-June/025438.html>

To recap, here is what I would and would not support in iD:

- I would not support arbitrary free-text warning messages popping up as users
try to edit things.  This is too susceptible for abuse.

- I would support a standardized tag scheme that lets us warn a mapper about
conditions that anybody would understand.  These warnings would have very
narrow scope and attach to areas.  We would translate them to a user’s native
language.
e.g.
`editor:warning=outdated_imagery`
  “Imagery in this area may be outdated. Please do not make edits without local
knowledge."
`editor:warning=border_dispute`
  “There is an ongoing border dispute in this area. Please do not make edits
without local knowledge."
`editor:warning=current_event`
  “A current event may have affected ground conditions in this area. Please do
not make edits without local knowledge."

- I would support a standardized tag scheme that lets us restrict certain
edits.
(with the caveat that a determined user could remove the tag and edit the thing
anyway).
e.g.
`editor:restriction=authoritative_data`
`editor:restriction:source=nyc.gov`
   “You may not move this item because its position has been surveyed with high
accuracy."

- I would support API-based restrictions (if the OSM API supported such a
thing, which it doesn't), e.g. to counter abuse, edit wars, vandalism.  We
already poll the `/api/capabilities` endpoint every few minutes, so maybe it
makes sense to stick API-based editing restrictions in there.
e.g.
   “Editing in this location is currently unavailable due to high amounts of
vandalism."

Anyway feel free to discuss here, or on the iD issue list:   :-)
https://github.com/openstreetmap/iD/issues
<https://github.com/openstreetmap/iD/issues>

Thanks, Bryan