My fear is that some overzealous mappers will start adding those tags to
all objects in their neighborhood, just to "protect' their area and scare
away newbies.

Since we suppose that all data is mean to be correct and everybody makes
edits to improve the map, I do not see a good reason for such a tag.

regards