> On Nov 1, 2015, at 5:10 PM, Dave Swarthout <daveswarth...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> access. I tag the enclosed area with highway=pedestrian, area=yes, and the
> way surrounding it

Your road islands have people on them?

They have big signs here saying "no crossing - cross at the light" with a fence
or hedge down the center to keep people from crossing (in most places, esp in
Tokyo), and I'm sure if there was someone walking down the island would be
stopped by the police.

The cutout for a ped crosswalk in an island (at an intersection on a major
road) I just run the crosswalk through the hole (there is no kerb or hedge,
just a flat crosswalk), and then a tiny island for the (raised) piece that was
cut off sticking out into the intersection.

Or were you referring to the little piece of the crosswalk that in on/in the
island?

Javbw