There are risky pedestrian controlled signals here too. The way they work
is that if and only if there is a pedestrian waiting to cross, you slow
down or stop your vehicle to let him or her cross the street. Then, without
waiting for the green light to appear or the audio tones to end, you
immediately start going again. Crazy, but it does seem to work. In the
U.S., as in Germany I gather from Gerd's comment, you would be ticketed and
fined heavily for that sort of behavior.

As for the painted "islands", I have always ignored those completely
because IMO it would serve no useful purpose to map them. Maybe I'm wrong.

On Mon, Nov 2, 2015 at 3:53 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdre...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I propose to use some "area:highway" value for these diagonally hatched
> parts of the asphalt, e.g. keep_off
>
> cheers
> Martin

Dave Swarthout