> On Nov 2, 2015, at 6:37 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdre...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> a sign that let's you pass the red light if you turn right and there are no
> pedestrians (and not crossing traffic).

In America, turning right on a red signal is usually allowed (unless you spot a
rare “no turn on red sign”), and in California there is very little pedestrian
traffic, so people turning right do rolling stops into most intersections
hoping it is clear so they can make the turn without stopping at all - just
like they do at all stop signs.

In Japan, there is no moving on red signals ever, as the narrow roads and huge
numbers of people walking and biking (the wrong way in the road) make it super
dangerous.

As a California driver, waiting infuriated me at first, but once you feel the
pressure of having to “move” (for the other people trying to also turn right)
lifted off of you, it is quite relaxing - red is stop, and there is nothing I
can do about it, so take a sip of water and relax.

Javbw