If it's not a temporary structure (some greenhouses are only set up when
they are needed), it should be tagged as building=greenhouse, imho. As
Martin already noted, there are different types. Some are tent-like, some
have a rigid steel structure that supports itself.
Can I ask a silly question at this stage - taking something like a
greenhouse, would someone ever treat it differently depending on whether it
has a building tag or not?

In my case when trying to figure out how to render things like this the
answer was "no":

https://github.com/SomeoneElseOSM/SomeoneElse-style/blob/master/style.lua#L608

but in some cases a building tag was used as a cue for some other rendering:

https://github.com/SomeoneElseOSM/SomeoneElse-style/blob/master/style.lua#L1502

If a greenhouse is a greenhouse, regardless of whether or not it has a
building tag in OSM, surely it doesn't matter whether or not it is tagged
building=yes?

Cheers,

Andy