W dniu 11.09.2016 17:53, Dave F napisał(a):

Well, OK. 'Classification' then (which gives indications to who can use it).

I still hold my position. Classification doesn't tell who can use it, rather the purpose. Service road and corridor are clear about it: first is for "last mile" servicing roads (and not who can drive there), the second one is for connecting rooms inside the building.

How are they second class?

This is where secondary tags become useful. If renderers wants to

This is exactly why it is a second class citizen - it needs a secondary tagging.

What would you say if we had:

highway=road
road:class=primary
road:link=yes

instead of highway=primary_link? And this sub-type has only 250k of uses.

Highway=path may be as generic as say highway=road, highway=pedestrian is more or less as luxury as motorway - and we have highway=footway for all the other uses. Even path/footway difference is not clear, so we try to fix it with adding surface.

show, for instance, all paths in one style, they easily can by
filtering just highway=footway* If they want to differentiate
different surfaces*, access restrictions etc, they can do that by
referring to secondary tags.

But you can also use surface for roads to differentiate them. Yet we mainly rely on roads purpose, not the surface.

Pedestrian ways can be also serving different purposes (and so they should have different rendering, as we do for roads):
- corridors
- cemetery, park and allotments alleys
- long-distance outdoor hiking trails
- sidewalk
- crossing
- via ferrata

and probably some other specific types for which we even have a proper name for.

--
"To co ludzie zwą marskością wątroby/ Tak naprawdę jest śmiercią z tęsknoty" [Afro Kolektyw]