> I don't think that default values like maxspeed=*,  driving_side=*, or
> even oneway=no should be tagged on highways.
> Most roads (in Belgium and in the world) don't contain any, BTW, and it
> makes no sense using a few.
> A default values specification should be used instead.
> Those tags should be contained in the highest level administrative
> boundary relation or equivalent in which they apply.
> maxspeed=70 should apply to Flanders and maxspeed=90 to Wallonia.

what you propose is not working, because speed limits are about roads, not
administrative entities. You have to know the context (rural/urban inside
settlement according to traffic law, etc.) in order to assign a maxspeed,
and the only way we currently use to understand which context applies are
the source:maxspeed values. It is very simple, doesn't require
preprocessing, can be applied by everyone without looking for and
downloading surrounding administrative polygons, and is also quite
reliable. Why would we give this up?

Cheers,
Martin