Hi André

Assuming or defining a default should be based on the number of different values within the set.

For the examples you give:

maxspeed shouldn't have a default. Apart from on motorway classed roads, speed limits varies depending on local topography. There will be too many exceptions to the rule.

driving_side is defined nationally so has a default. (I'm sure now someone will now provide examples where that's not the case). Any router worth its salt, should be able to check which country it is in.

DaveF