I take exception to the comment that “there will be too many exceptions to the
rule”.

In the country I live in each state has a set of “prima facia” speed limits for
various types of roads. Those are basically default speed limits to be enforced
unless otherwise posted by sign. Virtually no residential road in my state has
a speed limit sign but if you exceed 25 MPH you can be ticketed for speeding.
Rural highways are signed only at infrequent intervals, but exceeding 55 MPH
can result in a ticket.

Given:
A) We should only tag what is on the ground verifiable. By that rule we should
not currently tag these “prima facia” speed limits (no speed limit sign to
verify a maxspeed tag value).

B) A routing app currently has no way to determine a default speed (one to be
used if no maxspeed=* tag found on way). These can vary by jurisdiction and I
can imagine situations where a national default is overridden by a state
default and/or local municipality default. Should all routing apps go to a
different geographical database to get defaults? If so, why not go to that
other database for everything and ignore OSM?

It make perfect sense to me to allow administrative areas to be tagged with
default values for otherwise untagged items within the jurisdiction. If
something deviates from the default, as in your “speed limits varies depending
on local topography”, then it will be signed and we should tag per the sign.
But many, many roads in my area are not signed and yet have legally set maximum
speeds.

At present, I usually ignore the local verifiability constraint and simply put
a maxspeed value on residential roads after I’ve surveyed them even if they are
not signed. If I am feeling a bit more energetic than usual I may also add a
source:maxspeed with a value citing my state’s motor vehicle code. It would be
a lot easier if I could rely on a default value set on my state’s
administrative boundary.