On 12-05-17 20:12, Colin Smale wrote:
How about a step back for a second here... What is the stop_position
intended for? Who is it intended to help or inform? A bit of context
would help to rank the possibilities.

I remain by my earlier standpoint that a stop_position is too much
detail for a route as it is too variable to be useful. Trains on the
same route will be longer or shorter, and will use different tracks and
different platforms from time to time. What stays constant when
considering the route is the station itself, so this would be the right
entity to make part of the route.

For railway routes, I see the stop_position as the technical point that ties together the track with (railway realm) to the platform (pedestrian realm). Not the actual exact point at which a train should stop.

For bus routes it has the added bonus of being the (approximate) position of where the bus stops. I say approximate, because in the bus company I work at, the bus stop's position in our systems is averaged from the bus' GPS readings at the point the doors open. On some buses however, the GPS reader is over the driver, while at others, it's at the rear end. Something that can make a difference of 25 metres on our long double-bendy buses, which is quite a lot, as the "geofence" around a bus stop is by default 30 metres, so a small misalignment of 5m combined with a different GPS position on the bus, with added GPS disturbance in built-up areas, might make the bus think it's not at the stop yet, making a difference in price for those who use contactless ticketing.

Tijmen/IIVQ