I think what I'm trying to say is: there are many more bus routes (and
their variations) than train route relations to be mapped. If we insist
that it has to be:

stop_position
platform

so double tagging, I think I'll abandon and I'll understand that most
people will never start mapping public transport as it is effectively too
complicated.

I'm working on automating it, during a second GSoC of code project now, but
that is something that will always remain a burden. Duplication of tagging
and the apparent need for adding information about stops twice to the route
relations.

So my question remains: why can't we have NODES with all the details next
to the road. These nodes in the route relations and have the stop_position,
the platform way, the shelter, the waste_basket, the bench as extra items
that go into a stop_area relation, preferably one per direction of travel ?

I just spent another hour and 20 minutes converting 1 line from version 1
to version 2. The 'simple' way. It might have taken me 2 hours or more if
everything had needed to be mapped double.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R9cQ73YZp8

Polyglot