For what it's worth answering a bit late. I am not sure I completely agree.

   I agree with you, either use
   addr:place

   or use
   addr:street

   As the reason for using addr:place is that there isn't a street to
   which the address refers, I also don't see which street should go
   into addr:street, it makes no sense.

Have a look at this place "Siesel": http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/51.22209/7.90369. The hamlet is called Siesel and officially all the streets there do not have a name (you can check on the "NRW-Atlas: ALKIS" layer that all streets are just designated "Weg" i. e. "Street"). From an official address point of view all houses there should have addr:place=Siesel and addr:housenumber=nn. On the ground, tough, they have put up the usual German street name signs all showing "Siesel". So from an on the ground point of view all houses there should have addr:street=Siesel and addr:housenumber=nn. What to do now? I would say that in this case we could perfectly well have both addr:place and addr:street.

I agree this is borderline but I don't see why we should categorically refuse to have both tags.

Note that I just searched my mind for a case where this could happen. The actual tagging here is just using the addr:street.

Tobi