> Have a look at this place "Siesel":
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/51.22209/7.90369. The hamlet is called
> Siesel and officially all the streets there do not have a name (you can check
> on the "NRW-Atlas: ALKIS" layer  that all streets are just designated "Weg"
> i. e. "Street"). From an official address point of view all houses there
> should have addr:place=Siesel and addr:housenumber=nn.

is "nn" meant to be literally the string "nn"? (btw: NN in German usage is a
placeholder referring to people). In Italy, quite frequently in the
countryside, there is the abbreviation "snc" to say "no housenumber", but I
wouldn't add this in addr:housenumber as it's not a housenumber (you can find
it in official lists in the housenumber field though).

> On the ground, tough, they have put up the usual German street name signs all
> showing "Siesel". So from an on the ground point of view all houses there
> should have addr:street=Siesel and addr:housenumber=nn. What to do now?

IMHO the street name signs could result in highway names in OSM (highway=*,
name=Siesel) as one alternative, or not (if you interpret them as the place
name and not as a street name, because as a German native, I'd not expect
"Siesel" to represent a streetname but rather a placename). In both cases, I
wouldn't add addr:street tags with the "Siesel" as value, because it isn't the
street name address.

 it's by definition we refuse to have both tags, as addr:place is defined for
places without streetnames

cheers,
Martin