Hi,

Is 'unknown' really such an unusual and undesirable as an access tag? I
thought it was long-established, if not especially common. If the issue is
a lack of Wiki documentation that is easily solved.

I think that highway=footway foot=unknown adds a useful level of nuance.
For example a routing engine could choose to avoid such routes where it
would route over a footway by default. Of couse we could produce this
result by tagging foot=no, but if we don't know that pedestrians actually
aren't allowed that would be incorrectly tagging for the router.
foot=unknown could be considered an implicit fixme in the same way as
highway=road is, but also have teh benefit of being useable directly by
data consumers (if they chose to use it) unlike the free-form text
contained in notes and fixmes.

More generally, wherever an absence of a particular tag is taken to imply
something is or isn't present then a tag of something=unknown does have a
valid and worthwhile meaning distinct from no tag at all. .

Adam