Hello,

Le 03. 02. 18 à 19:18, Dave F a écrit :
> I recently seen a variety of keys being given the value of 'unknown'.
> I'm struggling to see its purpose. It confirms nothing & adds no value
> to the database. Am I missing something?

it's hard to explain without an example.

from my personal experience with the ongoing cleaning of
toilets:wheelchair et wheelchair, there were 3 reasons :
- a bug in an editor that incorrectly filled in with a "default"
as value when the user did not fill in a value.
- an (old) import (without a doc or missing link to the doc)
that assigned default values (also I guess it happened when he
didn't have any data)
- when an editor proposes a few keys, somes mappers do not know what
to fill in and put "unknown" thinking that it is mandatory to fill
in all the fields to pass validate.

This obviously has no interest in any of the 3 situations (the bug of
the first one has been fixed, the 2nd will soon be cleanup, the 3rd one
is more complicated because it is necessary to "train" new users and/or
improve the ergonomics of editors.... this can be seen for example with
the access key where you can even see "no ski" on roads
of a city a thousand km away from the ski resorts.

if you see a recent case, it is interesting to find the cause
to inform the mapper and/or improve the ergonomics of the editor used.

Regards,
Marc