On 10/04/18 09:51, John Willis wrote:

On Apr 10, 2018, at 5:47 AM, John Willis <jo...@mac.com <mailto:jo...@mac.com>> wrote:

landuse=flowerbed

!!!!

Although I searched the wiki and didn’t find the page I was looking for — when I googled for it, I found a “defacto” page made for landuse=flowerbed.

1200 uses.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landuse%3Dflowerbed <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landuse=flowerbed>

I think making this page more fleshed out would serve well.

Define it as an area used primarily for decorative flowers and other ornamental plants (that are not hedges or trees).

Why the height restriction? Some shrubs and trees have spectacular flowers...

That tag can be used in the decorations seen out front of a mall or school, the beds of flowers in a rose garden, large outdoor flower installations, or a decorative display found in roadside landscaping.

Let the larger landuse define the purpose (garden, retail, park, median, etc), just like we use fence, wall, or parking.

=-O Is it really a 'landuse'? Or better as a 'landcover'?

Roadside landscaping is really use of the land for the road verge and as such is really landuse=road/highway.

I think that the  tag should be for what is there - the land cover.
What the land is used for can change from one flower bed to another.
Possibly this landuse=flowerbed thinking follows that ridiculous tag landuse=grass?