Thanks for your local insights. I believe that the UK program called
"Refill" used the word in a different meaning as well, hence the key
`free_refill=*` could lead to confusion in the future.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refill_(scheme)

Listing the semicolon-separated list of refillable beverages in the
value part of the tags sounds like a good idea.

I like your take with `drinking_water=customers`, let me update my
proposal to this one.

My original idea was to add `drinking_water=yes` as well to such
shops, but has received chilling responses so far.

And do you think that a note to users may be warranted, like
`drinking_water:description="on request"`? A potential barrier may be
a tourist who does not speak the local language. She could definitely
use an unattended water tap either inside or outside the pub, but may
have trouble describing to the staff that she wants water but only the
free, non-mineral, non-carbonated variant so it will be free. They
could mix up the intention with the `owncup` campaign where you get a
discount when using your own cup/container for your orders. I imagine
pubs would gladly refill with premium content "by accident" in many
such cases, or at least I know countries where this would be
commonplace. I'll add this case to the description.