I do quite a bit of mapping in Thailand and generally speaking, mappers in
our community of OSMers don't tagThai names for brands like McDonalds, KFC,
Burger King, 7-Elevens, Starbucks, and simlilar outfits. Occasionally,
someone will add a name in Thai characters to one of these but the venues
mostly do not display any Thai characters in their signage. I don't
frequent any of them so cannot say that the menus inside use Thai or not
but I doubt they do.

It has been our practice to include all three variants of the names of
roads and shops, that is, name=(Thai script), name:th (also in Thai script)
and name:en. The idea here was that renderers who looked for either name or
name:th but not both would be able to properly display those names in the
Thai language. It's redundant, I know, but that's what we've been doing. We
do similar tagging for banks, fuel stations, and many other shops. Not
everyone who maps in Thailand is using our guidelines so you're likely to
see some variation in the resulting maps.

Not sure if I helped this thread. I haven't been following it but when I
saw this post about Thailand wanted to throw in what I know.

Dave

On Wed, Oct 3, 2018 at 10:07 AM Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefi...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Oct 2018 at 19:54, Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenb...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> There are much better food options than McDonald’s in Thailand!
>>

> I'd be astounded if there weren't! - I don't even eat the stuff here :-)
> Just picked the name as something that's found world-wide.
>
> Actually I believe use the original, English brand name on the signs
>> there.
>> https://www.openstreetmap.org/search?query=
>> แมคโดนัลด์%20chang%20mai#map=19/18.78375/99.00043
>>
>> Fortunately, Nominatum will find you things in Thailand even if you
>> search in English, as long as people have added a name:en or an
>> international name in Latin script.
>> Eg name:th=แมคโดนัลด์ and name:en=McDonald’s for the examples above.
>>

> OK, now I'm getting even more confused?
>
> Macca's is marked as both name:en & name:th & shows on the map as McDonalds
>
> But the street just above https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/77991177,
> hotel near by https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/301472018 & bank up above
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/3416994635 are all marked as both
> name:en=whatever & name:th, but all display in Thai characters?
>
> Other shops eg The Scoope https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/4873971522,
> Burger King https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/907621996 & Plaza Hair
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/3417022297 just say name= & all appear
> in English. Would I be right in guessing that they've been entered in
> English so will appear that way?
>

> On Tue, 2 Oct 2018 at 19:07, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdre...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> It is not about language, it rather depends on the local script. Here you
>> can see someone has added name:en for a McDonald's which I otherwise would
>> not have found:
>> https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/355033671
>>

> Similar thing - to me, Macca's appears in squiggles, despite also being
> listed as name:en=McDonalds, while Giordano's across the road
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/4620121040 just has name=Giordano &
> appears in English?
>
> Sorry about the questions :-(
>
> Thanks