On 12/10/18 12:57, Dave Swarthout wrote:
What I'm learning by reading this thread over again is that there is a lot of confusion about relations in the context I'm interested in. Group or site, whether one or the other will render or, more importantly for me at least, is whether the object will be findable in a Nominatim search.
Why not bet both ways?
Make both a site and a group relation.

I would hate like hell to have tagged such an object and then not be able to locate it. I don't care which method gets the nod on this list but in the end I want those features to be findable.

Dave

On Fri, Oct 12, 2018 at 4:40 AM SelfishSeahorse <selfishseaho...@gmail.com <mailto:selfishseaho...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    On Mon, 8 Oct 2018 at 21:16, Tod Fitch <t...@fitchdesign.com
    <mailto:t...@fitchdesign.com>> wrote:

    > I had not noticed the existence of the group relation before.
    Seems to me that it and the controversial site relation have some
    overlap. For the examples I can think of where I think the site
    relation works it seems like the group relation would also work.
    So, at present and lacking counter-examples, it seems to me that
    one of these two relations should go away.

    There is quite some difference between the suggested group relation
    and a site relation:

    A site relation is an own feature that consists of several other
    features. (For example, a wind farm cannot be mapped as a power plant
    area, but it can be mapped as a power plant site relation with
    multiple wind turbines as members.[1])

    [1]: https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/3792332

    In contrast, a group relation isn't a separate feature, but just a
    name; the feature is already defined for its members. (Like in our
    example the two ponds 'Small Pond' and 'Big Pond' that together are
    called 'Groble'.)

    This is also why a site (or multipolygon) relation wouldn't work
    in our example.

    Regards
    Markus

Dave Swarthout