Hi

On 02/11/2018 01:43, Allan Mustard wrote:

I don't see a problem with duplicating a tag in both the relation and sections of the object.  In my case I have been mapping the national highway network of Turkmenistan the last few months.  I have created relations so that all segments belong to one or more highways (P-1 from Ashgabat to Koneurgench, for example). However, most map renderers will not indicate that

Yours is a common & increasing misunderstanding of relations. There's a belief that:

a) Everything has to be linked together.
&
b) Relations are the only way to link them.

You're also misunderstanding the purpose of the route relation which is to indicate a regular, often used path taken by travellers which cross *different* roads, paths, rivers etc.

Duplication of data leads to confusion, wasted time & errors.
Please refrain from mapping in this way.

, plus the road is known to locals in most areas by that name, so I have also added it to the name=* and ref=* tags.

The way it's known is by it's reference number. It does not have a name. This is just more unnecessary duplication.

DaveF