Mateusz Konieczny <matkoni...@tutanota.com> writes:

> In my case I am interested in differentiating major power lines and
> minor power lines without further details.
>
> Given power=liner and power=minor_line scheme existed before I joined
> OSM and is really popular I guess that I am not alone.

I find the wiki sort of unclear, and I'm also not sure that other
countries' power systems are the same as the US.

Is it fair to say

  power=line is for transmission (among generating stations and
  substations, including to dedicated substations for industrial
  customers that would be called "transmission-connected" in the US)

  power=minor_line is for distribtion (from substations to customers)

I find 45 kV as a limit odd; in my part of the US (and I think the rest)
distribution is normally at 13.8 kV, and if I encountered 45 kV I would
expect it to be very old transmission, not distribution.  Modern
transmission here is 115 kV (plus higher, which I'm ignoring), and
there's a fair bit of 69 kV around.

So if we think of minor_line as encoding distribution vs transmission,
then it makes sense.  But the idea that people that don't understand the
power system can tell the difference doesn't really seem right to me.

so questions:

  - Does this transmission/distribution dichotomy exist in substantially
    all of the world?

  - Are there really distribution voltages much higher than 13.8 kV in
    use?