Hello,

Le 18. 10. 18 à 15:01, Greg Troxel a écrit :
> the idea that people that don't understand the
> power system can tell the difference doesn't really seem right to me.

so how can my wife add a "this electrical cable" despite she has
no idea what it means transmission <> distribution nor his voltage ?
she chooses at random between line or minor_line with an error
rate of 50% ?
or should non-experts be forbidden to inform where a cable exist ?
François' idea of structuring information by "layer" of detail from
basic to advanced info is full of common sense, damage too often reads
the argument "the value is widely used and I'm able to choice the good
tag so we keep the imperfection".

To make an analogy, when my wife sees a building, she can just put
building=yes if she has no idea how to do it better. This makes sense
in a general but accurate way while allowing the next contributor
to add details.
when she sees a factory, she can put man_made=works even if she has
no idea what's going on there.
we don't ask her to add man_made=minor_works or major_works or
strategic_works nor works_with_a_hight_flow_of_product, the detail
may come in subtags instead of cluttering the top-level with as much
information as possible but different at once.

so having one top value for line and/or his voltage and/or his usage
is very ugly, cause of error and counter-productive
these are 3 very different characteristics,
some are able to encode one, 2 or 3
some limit are country-dependant.
don't request every body to be expert in power to save you from having
a sub-key to analyse according to your specific need, which is not
necessarily everyone's.
If you need to guest that a line without any info is minor or major
or what's else, do it. but it's still a good idea to allow (=have a tag)
when someone want to add a line without his usage nor his voltage.

Regards,
Marc