Martin,

> this is already the case. At least it should be like this, if you see
> places where the name tag is abused for descriptions you should fix it. I
> admit, it is not always possible to clearly tell which is the correct name,
> for some kind of things, not even in the real world.
> At least in OSM you can add alternative names, generically or with
> specific meaning (loc_name, short_name, etc.)

The name tag is abused very often and systematically. Let's take at look at
this spot in the centre of Paris
https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/48.86138/2.36028
You can see category names displayed everywhere there, e.g. musium, hotel,
school (in French).
As a result when you query OSM database for some category items you have to
apply algorithms for clearing category names from the name field to get
just proper names.

Regards,
Eugene