On Wed, 20 Feb 2019 at 12:25, Peter Elderson <pelder...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Residential just means it has housing along the road.

That doesn't necessarily work the other way around.  My part of the world
has a lot of
ribbon villages: a small number of houses (typically around 10)clustered
along a
road connecting two towns/villages.  That road might be a primary,
secondary or tertiary
route, a minor road or an unclassified road.  I wouldn't classify it as
residential even when,
as in some cases, speed limits are lowered where it passes through the
village.

In the same way, there is a secondary route passing through the centre  of
my town.  If it
weren't also a secondary route it would be classed as residential, but it's
a secondary route and
referred to as such on maps.

OTOH, there are many residential roads in my town which aren't dead ends.
Which means you
can use them to avoid the secondary route passing through town.  That
doesn't make them an
unclassified route, though.

--
Paul