Exactly. From a routing point of view, if you encounter a residential road,
little can be deducted with certaointy
from that tag.
E.g. live very near a residential road, where along the length are lots of
houses, but these are shielded by ridges, bushes and separate cycleways  so
traffic is not impaired by that, except where there are crossings and
traffic signs.

Vr gr Peter Elderson