On Wed, Feb 20, 2019 at 9:45 AM Paul Allen <pla16...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Feb 2019 at 12:25, Peter Elderson <pelder...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Residential just means it has housing along the road.
> That doesn't necessarily work the other way around.

I'm glad you pointed that out. In all that has been said about highway
classification over the years, I've often seen (and sometimes done)
mistakes such as reverse causality (A therefore B equivalent to B
therefore A) and correlation as causality (A and B often appear
together, so if A then B). We need to be careful when interpreting and
discussing the definitions, particularly when talking about other
countries where people have different assumptions. Sometimes even
redundantly clarifying in the wiki that the reverse is not true helps
avoiding this kind of confusion.

The only type of road that by definition cannot have direct access to
private properties is highway=motorway.

In the case of unclassified, the wiki says their > primary < purpose
is to connect hamlets, villages and towns. So they may have houses,
but access to them is not their primary function in the highway system
as a whole. The wiki says: "From experience you know that the road is
frequently and legally used as a through route or to reach a
(non-farm) workplace or tourist attraction." and "The definition of
this tag evolved from a scheme to describe the rather populated
British countryside, where most of the public roads are paved because
they also carry much non-agricultural traffic. The name derives from
the official U classification used by UK local councils, but the OSM
tag has also been applied to roads which carry other official
classifications: the D and C categories in particular. This has
happened because these three official classifications are typically
not signposted and so have historically not been available to OSM
mappers; nevertheless, the tag is still useful for marking
low-importance minor roads." [1]

[1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dunclassified

--
Fernando Trebien