On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 at 00:27, djakk djakk <djakk.dj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello !
>
> I think we should decorrelate the attributes of a road : its
> administrative class, its importance in the road network (at least 5
> levels), its physical characteristics (motorway-like, two large lanes,
> link=yes ...), possibly its traffic characteristics.
>
> So we can tag a secondary motorway or a primary road through a residential
> area or an official motorway with pedestrians actually walking on it.
>
> So that we’ll unify osm road classification through the world (remember
> the highway=trunk issue ;-))

I could see that working!

Replace the existing highway= types (=motorway; =primary etc) with
highway=1 to =5?, with 1 being the existing =motorway, down to 5 being all
the minor streets in a town.

If you have a look at
https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=13/-28.0643/153.4191 (& I'm pretty sure
everywhere around the World will look fairly similar?), the pink Pacific
Motorway (=motorway) would become =1; the orange / tan major arterial roads
(=primary: 2; 3; 7; 40; 50) =2; yellow connecting roads (=secondary) =3;
white roads through suburbs (=tertiary) =4; all the grey minor roads
(=residential / unclassified): residential in the suburbs, commercial areas
in the CBD, roads inside industrial areas etc =5.

Would you need =6 for service roads (driveways, parking lanes etc), or
would they stay as the current=service designation?

Setting levels like this & rendering them this way, would also get rid of
the problem of roads not being visible in remote areas because a
"secondary" road won't render - even if it's only hard-packed dirt, it
would still be the level 1 or 2 road in this area!

Feasible?

Thanks

Graeme