Am Fr., 15. März 2019 um 17:48 Uhr schrieb marc marc <
marc_marc_...@hotmail.com>:

> Le 15.03.19 à 17:16, Jan S a écrit :
> > I sense dissent here about the future use of amenity=police. Would it be
> a possible solution to keep amenity=police for public-facing police
> stations only,
>
> that's the current meaning.
>
> > but invite mappers on the wiki to nevertheless add police=station, so
> that in the future the majority of police stations will hopefully also
> carry the police=station tag?
>
> at the risk of repeating myself, some mappers disapprove of having to
> enter the same information twice because of the coexistence of 2 tags
> with the same meaning.
> you can of course try your luck by submitting this idea grouped with the
> rest of your proposal... or you can separate this conflicting idea to
> increase the chances of adoption of the main part of your propal,
> it's up to you (I'll separate).
>
> anyway, even if it passes, it is unfortunately inevitable that the 2
> tags get out of sync and then the meaning gets worse than before:
> if a mapper deletes the only-one tag from a police station,
> his intention is clear, it's not more a police station.
> if a mapper deletes only one of the 2 tags from a police station, has he
> done so because the police station is closed (and the other must also be
> deleted) or because he wants to delete one of the 2 duplicated schemes?
>
> this "dual-schema" period is really painful, which is why I find it
> preferable that it be as short as possible.
> in this perspective, I am in favor of first promoting all police=* who
> currently do not have a tag and once this scheme is well known/used,
> do another operation to try to switch amenity=police to police=station
> (and, I repeat, do not underestimate the enormous resistance of some
> community members who think (imho wrongly) that frequent tags should be
> kept immutable for eternity.)

I have prepared the proposal for a transition period that hopefully won't
break current mapping and rendering by maintaining amenity=police for
public-facing police stations, but inviting mappers to tag these stations
also as police=station.

All other police facilites, that may currently have been tagged erroneously
as amenity=police would be tagged only as police=*, while public-facing
police stations shall be double-tagged as amenity=police and
police=station. It can then be decided in the future whether amenity=police
will prevail or whether public-facing police stations will be exclusively
tagged as police=station, in order to be consistent with other police
facilites.