Hopeful to come to a conclusion, I would like to propose to edit the Wiki with
the following:

Current text on page route=hiking:
oneway  yes/no/cw/ccw   (optional) Use oneway=yes to indicate that the route is
to be walked in only one direction, according to the signposts on the ground
proposal: It might be useful to indicate if the route is marked in the
clockwise or counterclockwise direction, i.e. oneway=cw or oneway=ccw.

Changing to:
signed_direction=yes (optional) Use signed_direction=yes to indicate that the
route is to be walked in only one direction, according to the signposts on the
ground. The ways within the relation should be ordered, as they are used to
determine the direction of the signposts. It's prefered to not use oneway=yes
anymore, as it could cause confusion with oneway=* as a legal restriction. (as
discussed on the tagging mailing list (insert link))

This changes could also be applied on route=foot and route=bicycle

Comments?