On Wed, 22 May 2019 at 14:12, Tod Fitch <t...@fitchdesign.com> wrote:

> Please excuse possible Americanisms. What we’d call a “campground” is
> apparently called a “campsite” in British English and somehow turned into
> “camp site” in OSM. And what we’d call an individual place within a
> campground would be “camp site” but is apparently a “pitch” in BE.

& from an Aussie point of view, that term is just as confusing as it
apparently is for you!

I've been going camping for over 40 years now (!) & I've *never* heard the
term camp-pitch, before it's come up in this discussion. Yes, you "pitch
camp" or "pitch a tent", but you do it on a camp site in a camping (or
camp) ground, not on a camp pitch.

Marked & allocated spots in a caravan park, or camp/ing ground are "sites"
eg we are booked into Site 86 in Whichever Caravan Park this weekend.

Personally, I'd prefer to get rid of the camp_pitch idea altogether & just
use our established tags

tourism=camp_site (or =caravan_site) + name=, address= etc
with "all of park" details
toilets=yes/no/fee
shower=yes/no/fee - maybe hot/cold?

then for each site

ref=# / SIte #
usage=caravan/camper_trailer/tent/walk_in (some sites are reserved for
large motorhomes, some are tent only etc)
vehicle_access=yes/no (can you actually drive onto the site - some you have
to park in the car park & carry your tent & all your gear to the actual
site)
fire=yes/no/ring/off_ground
power=yes/no
water=yes/no