That is true if the terrain is agreeable.  Often it is steep and a very loose rocky surface so 4wd is necessary.  Even if it isn't very steep, since it is not maintained very often, if at all, erosion creates hazards in the road also requiring 4wd or at least a very high clearance vehicle.

*"Tracktype* is a measure of how well-maintained a track or other minor road is..."