> "only need one element even if there is a platform"

See "One Feature, One OSM Element" - separate feature tags should not
be added to the same database object, if at all possible.

This is particularly a problem with platforms, which can be mapped as
nodes, lines or areas. That means a way could be a line or an area, so
you need to add "area=yes" to avoid ambiguity.

But bus stops, tram stops, trains stations and bus stations can only
be a node or an area. This means that database users (esp using
osm2pgsql) will treat these features as polygons when mapped as closed
way.

To avoid ambiguity, don't add bus_stop or tram_stop to a
highway=platform or railway=platform line or area please. The platform
is a physical feature, and still exists even if the bus or tram
service is discontinued. The bus_stop or tram_stop node represents a
place a tram stops or bus stops and where the passengers should wait
to get on the vehicle, so changing it to an area isn't beneficial.

I also consider "bus, tram and train stations could all be tagged
alike" as a disadvantage since it would lead to ambiguity, like how to
deal with a station object tagged =station with bus stops, tram stops
and a railway platforms. It's better if mappers are aware which main
feature they are tagging, since that's what will have to be handled by
database users.

Hence, your option 1. (public_transport=stop) advantages are both
disadvantages in this view, which means option 3 (using the original
tags like bus_stop, tram_stop) is the best. It also requires the
fewest tags at most places - a bus stop almost always needs 1 tag, and
these are by far the most common public transit features in the
database.