Maybe it's the summer heat, or my age, but I still don't get the essential
step in both Sarah's and Peter's reasoning.
Let's assume that for hiking and cycling type relations I do have all
component ways in some, generally agreed, -sequence in the database.
How do I get this information out of the database and converted nto a
navigation aid for me as end user?
I see four basically different options:
1) a paper map or a sequence of paper maps
2) a road book with turn instructions
3) a GPX track to follow on a navigation device
4) real time navigation with turn instructions on a navigation device

All four do not need the sorting of the relation members under the
condition that the routing algorithm gives very strong preference those
ways that are part of a hiking/biking route relation.

There is theoretically a fifth option:
I tell my intelligent navigation device "bring me to route XVZ and guide me
along that route in direction N / S / E / W
But also in that case the sequence of the ways in the route relation seems
irrelevant.

I must be missing a crucial point in your reasoning.

Best regards

Volker