You can't seem to let go of your routing. The routes in OSM represent
routes that are already there. They are sequences of ways to follow in the
order given, not sequences of points to route to.

Ideally, you should not have to create gpx-s from them and you should need
no ordering or routing at all, because they ARE the routes. An app or
gps-device should use them as is, just tell the user what to do next. Since
no app currently does that (future still has to arrive) we resort to
transferring the route to them as tracks, i.e. gpx.
Exporting as a gpx loses the way information. THEN you need rerouting, to
turn them back into a chain of censecutive ways to follow.

The rerouting should return exactly the original route. Of course this only
works when the routing software uses exactly the same map, i.e. knows
exactly all the ways used to create the transport gpx-file.

Some imperfections in various stages can be helped by routing. his means
you get a route over a gap, but you can't be sure it will be the waymarked
OSM-route as it is found on the road. Routing along with planning is a big
help in trip planning, but it should not touch the route itself.

So, it's not all about getting there. It's about doing the way. As hikers
use to say, the way is the goal. Very Tao.

Fr gr Peter Elderson