On Mon, 19 Aug 2019 at 16:02, Richard Fairhurst <rich...@systemed.net>
wrote:

Let’s say we have a cyclist, new to OSM, who wants to add a newly opened
> section to an existing route. As Peter says, doing this to said
> specification “usually requires lots of JOSM”. The steps involved to do
> this
> in sorted order are:
>
> 1. spend half the afternoon trudging through contradictory pages on the OSM
> wiki to find out what you have to do
> 2. apparently it involves this thing called “JOSM”. Download that
> 3. apparently that involves this thing called “Java”. Download that too
> 4. learn to use this 80s throwback of a GIS program with the UI of a
> startled warthog
> 5. find route sorting stuff in JOSM somewhere
> 6. make edit
> 7. get shouted at by sociopaths in changeset comments because unwittingly
> you did something wrong
>
> (I have elided most of the intermediate steps.)

It's that easy?  Last time I did it, it seemed a lot harder than that.

And say what you like about Warthogs being ugly, the Fairchild Republic A-10
Thunderbolt II (aka Warthog) was a very effective war plane, both in kill
power and
survivability.  Please don't make JOSM's UI seem better than it is by
comparing it
to the Warthog.

--
Paul