On 8/20/2019 4:57 AM, Andrew Davidson wrote:
On 20/8/19 6:24 pm, John Willis via Tagging wrote:
     So let's standardize on a tag:

amenity=hitching_post
hitching_post=dog ?

Interestingly, one of the items they sell is a green 30x30cm marker
to go on the sidewalk in front of the pole - literally a sign for the
designated spot for dogs to wait.

Japanese dogs must be pretty cluey ;-)

Sounds like this one literally is a hitching post, so
amenity=hitching_post would be fine. But ideally IMO we'd want something
described by function more than form, so people wouldn't feel like the
need to invent a new tag for each style. (A ring, a doghouse, a
designated indoor room, a fenced pen...)

Actually, this reminds me of bicycle parking more than anything else...
so amenity=animal_parking? Adding animal=dog (horse, camel, whatever)
would mesh well with the existing use of the animal=* tag.