amenity=charging _space? Says what it is.

On 26/08/19 08:52, Paul Allen wrote:
On Sun, 25 Aug 2019 at 23:35, Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefi...@gmail.com <mailto:graemefi...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    On Sun, 25 Aug 2019 at 23:53, Paul Allen <pla16...@gmail.com
    <mailto:pla16...@gmail.com>> wrote:

        So it looks like, for the charging spaces, amenity=parking_space +
        access:<invent-appropriate-role>=<access value> is the way
        to go.

    A bit messy, but how about
    amenity=parking_space + access=vehicle_charging_only

Big problem right there: you're expanding on the access tag.  Some on this list will take great exception to that.  Some editors will take even greater exception to it as they populate drop-downs from the wiki, so when you map a road the access drop-down will include yes, no, private, vehicle_charging_only. Which is why the parking_space proposal invented access:<role>.  And even that is pushing things, a little.

    car_charging=yes/no
    truck_charging=yes/no
    hgv_charging=yes/no

And this will re-open hostilities in a different argument about the undesirability of having all those different binary tags instead of charging=car|truck|hgv.  Or was it the other way
around that was undesirable?  I forget now.

    so you could specify that this space is for car charging only, or
    hgv only (although I don't think buses, trucks & HGVs would be put
    on charge while doing deliveries at the supermarket!)

The one I want to map is in a supermarket car park and the parking spaces are only big enough for a car.  But larger vehicles also use that car park, with RVs being frequent and the UK intends to have all motor vehicles be electric at some future date.  Eventually the supermarket will have a few charging points with spaces that can accept RVs. Supermarket car parks may never cater to HGVs but other places will have to, given the range of electric vehicles.  I'd prefer it if we don't come up with something that only works for cars and a few years down the line wish we'd done it differently because we now have to handle
other types of vehicle.

--
Paul