sent from a phone

> On 10. Dec 2019, at 21:12, Allroads <allroadswo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> because of motorcar abuse, they wrote the controversy in it. A problem to be
> solved. We all know how a wiki developed, evaluates, a few can change the
> content.

maybe only relative few are updating the wiki, but for a tag to be consistently
applied, the wiki is not the only factor. A lot of people are required to
consistently add motorcar tags to highways differently compared to the current
documentation until the “few” can update the access page without an outcry or
at least revert from the rest. This particular wiki edit is not the reason the
motorcar key has different meanings according to its value, rather the other
way round, the hint was added because it was used like this. And it was used
like this because the same motorcar symbol on traffic signs has different
meaning depending on the kind of sign (prescription or restriction), so there
might be a perceived data inconsistency from the pov of a data consumer, but
less so compared to real life.

> They did not want to solve the problem then.

they? Why didn’t you do something about it?

> Now you have a sidecar, it is a motorcycle but also multitracked vehicle.
> This get very complicated to write a routing and parking script for sidecars.
> This is a disadvantage for the sidecar group.
> I believe each category must have equivalent method of treatment.

IMHO this is a completely different situation. Very few mappers own sidecars,
personally I have no idea which specific rules apply to motorcycles with
sidecars (or are you asking for bicycles with sidecars?), and as a result
mappers tend to forget about adding sidecar tags (or are simply not interested
in looking up the details). Each category cannot be dealt with equally on a
practical level because people are volunteers and are adding tags about things
they care for. Sidecars probably haven’t reached the point where there are
enough mappers so that decent coverage could have been achieved. Look how good
we are in representing bike access specifics, it’s because there are so many
cyclists.

> “The meaning of tags”, is a key/value combination, both key and value must be
> distinctive, so the combination can not mean something else, waht both say.
> Contradiction must be avoided. That is common method usage.

generally I agree, exceptions apply. In the motorcar example they are grounded
in real life particularities (best reason I’d say).

Cheers Martin