On 09/01/2020 23:14, Peter Elderson wrote:
Warin <61sundow...@gmail.com> het volgende geschreven

I think;
Those who bicycle know why there needs to be these classes.
Those who don't ride a bicycle regularly see no need for these classes.
I wonder which of these groups you think I am in...

Hint: Nederland.

Ahem.  How can I put this tactfully - the Netherlands doesn't exactly have the widest variety of cycling terrain in the world, and has a generally good network of separated cycleways.  That isn't true everywhere - regularly when I'm out walking I'm asking myself "how do I tag this so that a poor mistaken cyclist doesn't think it'd be a good shortcut".  An example is https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/353193650 , where I was on Monday - is an example.  It's a public bridleway in the UK, so as well as walkers, horse riders and cyclists can legally use it too - but any horse bigger than a small pony wouldn't fit (not without the rider being impaled on a tree branch), and the 45 degree angle of the hill, and the slippery mess on the ground, make it challenging for walkers never mind cyclists.

Not so far away is https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/9487#map=13/54.3595/-1.2685 which is actually part of a cycle route.  The worst of that section is probably "only" mtb:scale=1, but I certainly wouldn't recommend it to a normal road bike user (or someone used to comfort as they're riding along).

Outside of "small" countries like the Netherlands or England other factors such as sheer scale come into play - for example the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munda_Biddi_Trail that has opened between Perth and Albany in Australia (see https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/5810814 ), or one of the long US routes.

Best Regards,

Andy