On Wednesday 25 March 2020, Jyri-Petteri Paloposki wrote:

> I slightly disagree with this one. IMO a name in a foreign language
> would be admissible if it is recognised by native speakers of the
> language either back home or in the local community OR if the name is
> otherwise regarded correct by mainstream media or a language
> authority.

Yes, that line of reasoning is fairly widespread among mappers -
considering secondary sources of information as valid sources of
information for OSM and not requiring local verifiability but settling
for compatibility with the major consensus narrative of the mapper's
culture.

I have written in more detail about the problems of this idea some time
ago in

http://blog.imagico.de/verifiability-and-the-wikipediarization-of-openstreetmap/

--
Christoph Hormann