On Mon, May 25, 2020 at 01:38:57PM +0200, Florimond Berthoux wrote:
> I have encounter this issue many times : reality vs traffic sign.
> No vehicle acces to the wood in Paris, except that cyclist go there and
> that normal.
> A living street sign on a transit road.
> Etc.
>
> I would like to be able to tag separately the sign/law and the 'on the
> ground' reality.
>
> For the default I'd say tag the reality if there almost no change to be
> blamed for violating the sign.
>
> So for me the new tag would be
> motor_vehicle=no
> bicycle:dejure=no
>
> Or if there is a little change to be blamed, bicycle:defacto=yes is nice
> too.
>
> Could work also for highway :
> highway=tertiary
> highway:dejure=living_street

What would be your expectation which rules a router should honor? The
ones on the signs or the ones people actually do?

My expectation would be that an OSM based routing engine should never
send me where there is doubt i am allowed to go. It is okay for locals
to use it, but a someone from a different area/country i'd expect OSM
offering me a conflict free (in legal and physical terms) route based
on the tags it finds.

This is especially true for transit e.g. traversing something. This is
pretty inline with my in-car-nav (Mercedes E Class). It will not send
you where you are not allowed to go.
If there is some area with restrictions e.g. "Drop off zones at
Airports" or "Taxi spaces at railway stations" it will only send you
there at the final leg of your journey, and it'll warn you that you are
entering a restricted area before turning into it.

As a little anecdote what happens: I once tried to reach a campsite and
following my little Garmin on the bike. I ended in clear sight of the
campsite but with a River of ~40 meter width between me and the campsite.
The reason was that the track i was on was actually the nearest point
on the routable network to the campsite. The divert was actually
something like 15km of which 10km were simply going back where i came
from. Somebody had tagged all the surrounding roads with access=private
so there was no other legal way of getting to the campsite by osm
tagging specs. This is one of the reasons why i am an opponent
of excessive and non justified access tagging. If we violate the on the
ground and verifyability of access restrictions there is no way to turn
back to a common ground. Reality will not matter anymore and we will
have tons of discussions with mappers about some invented or fictional
access restrictions.

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff                                                 f...@zz.de