On Sun, May 24, 2020 at 6:43 PM Volker Schmidt <vosc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I would like to bring this up in the list.
> I am not happy with the recent change of the key:access page of the wiki

Bikes may "pass" in two different ways: riding
(bicycle=yes/permissive/destination) or pushing (bicycle=dismount).
Bikes are only completely forbidden if bicycle=no/private.

If those service roads are public (say, for pedestrians) and
legislation implies that a cyclist riding a bicycle is on a "vehicle",
then what you have in this situation is probably access=yes +
motor_vehicle=no + bicycle=dismount. With bicycle=dismount, router
will still route through those ways, but it will assume the cyclist
will be respecting the law, and thus pushing the bike slowly, and so
will tend to prefer faster ways where riding is legal.

> I am consistently using bicycle=permissive in these cases, well being aware
> that I do not know of he owner has given permission. Basically any
> cycle-routing would come to a halt without this trick.

*=permissive should be used when the owner (so, not 'public' ways)
allows passage. Whether "allowing" should be explicit (through signs)
or implicit (through law) depends on the interpretation of local
legislation. The law in many countries functions on a positive logic
(you are allowed to do something only if there is a sign saying you
are allowed), while others operate on a negative logic (everything is
allowed unless a sign forbids you).

> The strict wording introduced by Florian is simply not practically applicable
> here.
> My questions are:
> Is Italy the only country with this problem?

Brazil has this problem. We usually operate on the negative logic, but
bikes have an exception defined in law. The law here says that you
cannot ride a bicycle in parks unless there is signage allowing, and
the vast majority of parks have no such signage. This is because the
law here says paths in parks are "pedestrian ways" by default, and
cyclists cannot 'ride' in "pedestrian ways," but of course they can
push the bike there. In practice, many people do ride their bikes in
parks without signage and never get a ticket. Still, if there is an
accident involving a pedestrian, the law would in principle be applied
this way.

> Is there any better proposal for tagging the situation "from all I can see on
> the ground, you are allowed ride through with your bicycle"

If you want to set access tags in a way that works properly with all
apps, then setting access tags requires knowledge of what's on the
ground and also what's on the local law, plus the differences between
default access [1] and country-specific access [2] rules.

[1]
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_tags_for_routing/Access_restrictions#Default
[2]
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_tags_for_routing/Access_restrictions#Italy