On Wed, 26 Aug 2020 at 16:26, Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging <
tagging@openstreetmap.org> wrote:

> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Project_scope/Summary#Must_be_realistically_useful_for_an_educational_purpose
>
> "hosts content that is useful for educational purposes.
> This means content that could be used by Wikipedia,
> other Wikimedia projects, or other projects that provide
> knowledge, instruction or information.

I'd say OSM usage fits that definition.

> Files don't haveto be in use on any other project to be hosted

here, but they must have a reasonable potential use."

That is where, at the moment, the judgement call comes in.  If an
image isn't used by any other wikiproject (which their bots would
pick up) then somebody has to decide if it has reasonable potential
use.  Whereas if there were a bot that somehow tagged images
that were used on OSM it would be seen that they were being
used by another informational project.  It still wouldn't be an
absolute guarantee the image wouldn't be removed, but it
makes it far less likely to be removed.  "I can't see any
reason to keep that image" versus "I can't see any reason
to keep that image other than it being used by OSM."

--
Paul