On Wed, 16 Sep 2020 at 20:01, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdre...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> while the very generic crossing=marked, which was quite unpopular before
> (2013-2018 below 6000 uses) now went through the roof and is leading the
> tagstats with more than 1 million uses.

You may find that it is partly, at least, iD's "fault"? Crossings now
"error" in iD to say that "this street crosses an unmarked crossing",
despite the crossing being mapped & tagged? eg
https://www.openstreetmap.org/edit#map=19/-28.06439/153.43854

The "fix" inserts an "Unmarked Crossing" node on the junction of the street
& crossing.
eg https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/7914347813

What do you think about it, shouldn't we be encouraging people to use more
> specific tags like crossing=zebra or crossing=traffic_signals instead?

I must admit that I only do crossings as =traffic_signals; =marked (by
itself) for zebra crossings; & =unmarked where there is provision to cross
the road but no signage or roadway markings on any sort.

Thanks

Graeme