I don't know what the routers need, to be honest.
I have adopted the approach happily because of the frequent two-stage
approach. First the main road is mapped with foot/bicycle crossings as
nodes , and at a later stage someone else may add the foot/cycleway
details  - I did not occur to me that there may be an advantage in removing
at that stage the already existing crossing node.
I would also naively assume, that a car-only router does not need to
inspect any of the foot/cycleways in the map, and can use the
highway=crossing nodes as an indication to add small delays inthe routing.
Anyone in the router business listening in on this conversation?