On Wed, 5 Oct 2022 at 12:48, ael via Tagging <tagging@openstreetmap.org>
wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 05, 2022 at 10:46:39AM +0000, martianfreeloader wrote:
>
> As a native British English speaker I had never heard of a "bubbler".
> As others have said, I would have called that a drinking_fountian.
> I really don't understand why some people object to that term, but then

 I brought up the issue with bubbler not being a British term, but I'm not
really bothered by the specific word "bubbler" which is reasonably
descriptive. Concentrating on the word bubbler is a distraction from what I
think is the main issue.

The issue is the misuse of key:fountain.

The tag amenity=fountain was created to map the entity/object known in
English as fountains, and is documented in the OSM wiki with several
pictures of fountains. eg
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:Fountain_at_Milan_citadel.JPG

In English a small structure that spurts out drinking water is commonly
referred to as a "drinking fountain". . "Drinking Fountain" contains the
word fountain but it is not a fountain. In the same way "car park" contains
the word park but is not a "park".  OSM has a reasonable tag of
amenity=drinking_water to map drinking water sources.

At some point a contributor decided to create a key to primarily document
types of amenity_water and "specific types of drinking water fountains".
They made, in my opinion, a huge mistake by naming it key:fountain. The tag
guidance is then added to the fountain wiki page. The result is the
existence of tags such as fountain=bubbler, and fountain=bottle_refill.
When it should be, as a suggestion,  drinking_water:type=bubbler, or
drinking_water:type=bottle_refill.

Jass