But I am very dubious about deprecation of amenity=drinking_water, even
    if technically possible.

Yes, I agree with Mateusz:  I would find deprecation of amenity=drinking_water
to be highly problematic.  It is a very long-established tag.

I also agree with this, I don't think it would be appropriate to substitute amenity=drinking_water at the moment, since it is a working tag and it is quite affirmed. No reason to deprecate it in favour of some new and rather unknown tags.

If nothing else, I feel that amenity=drinking_water is currently the best working tag among all the ones discussed.

What I'd like is a stabilization and clear definition of all the other tags so that they could actually get in use.

If these other tags get adopted by the community, then the deprecation of amenity=drinking_water might be discussed, but this is definitely not the right moment.

Overall, I'd like to have a discussion about how to regularize amenity=fountain, man_made=water_tap and man_made=drinking_fountain in order to remove all this overlap among those tags and providing a more sensible and less confusing tagging scheme.