On 30/03/2023 18:13, NKA mapper wrote:
tor. 30. mar. 2023 kl. 18:14 skrev Andy Townsend <ajt1...@gmail.com>:

    How do I know if an "amenity=charging_station" in the OSM data is
    a "single charge point" or a "group of chargers"?

The intention is to not have a difference. Both a single charger location and a multi-charger location is a place where you could charge your vehicle, and the proposal is to map them the same way. This is similar to a fuel station, where I would tag one single pump, typically at a rural location, as amenity=fuel.

That would be a problem, as trying to use the same tag for different physical objects always is in OSM.  If I

gis=> select count(*) from [some database table] where amenity = 'charging_station';
 count
-------
   267
(1 row)

How do I know what I am counting?  How do I count just "single charge points"?  How do I count "groups of chargers"

Of course tags like capacity and socket would give indications.

If tagged, but plenty exist without those: https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/1ta8

And if amenity=charging_station is tagged as an area around a number of charge points, that would be a group.

That'd need to be a spatially-aware query, and I wouldn't assume that data consumers can easily do that.  At the place where I detect charging stations I don't have that capability: https://github.com/SomeoneElseOSM/SomeoneElse-style/blob/master/style.lua#L1492 .

If the same tag must be used for both, the only way to tell "single charge point" from "group of chargers" is to have a tag that is set to indicate which is which.  If "newtag=single" it means it's a single charge point, if "newtag=group" it's a group, and if "newtag" is not set, we don't yet know, and need to encourage local mappers to add the tag.

Recycling centres are similar, and I handle them like this: https://github.com/SomeoneElseOSM/SomeoneElse-style/blob/master/style.lua#L1648 , though in this case the extra tag ("recycling_type=centre" ), if unset, suggests that we're just talking about a recycling bin not a recycling centre.

Best Regards,

Andy